View Single Post
Old 05-02-23, 11:56 PM   #261
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Df antenna and Merchant speeds

1. Maybe my query re: the Df antenna was poorly worded. It was actually a question - whether the position of the antenna influences the signal strength of the contact. Does it? It seems not to do so in my limited experiments.

2. If one wants to do manual torpedo attacks, the speed of the target is critical to feed into the calculations (distance, AOB). The original SH3 manual says to look up the ship speed in the "Library" of vessels. But the listed speed rarely is congruent with the observed speed - that is, while a Ferry Ship is listed as 15 knots, it usually is observed as moving around 8 kts, when observed in the periscope in the Automatic Attack Mode (or whatever the proper term is). Should we conclude that the listed speed is max speed and not usual and customary speed and therefore is actually useless? That means for manual mode torpedo attack one needs to use the stopwatch and measure distance travelled over, say, 5 minutes then pull down the calculator at the top to read off the speed. Am I right about this?
Archive1
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote