View Single Post
Old 11-02-20, 02:35 PM   #2121
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Sun rise/sun set times... part deux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ Mad Mardigan: I have pointed to Front Runner's posting Base Time 2018 for what he discovered time-wise in the game. I did a few experiments with him, and after we discovered the CareerStart problem for 1945, things became consistent. With a "properly configured" game clock, sunrise and sunset were consistent, and "yes", the game keeps you on your "base time". One thing we realized was that the game uses an even distribution of the time lines, placed upon the cylindrical world. As such, there is an apparent slight distortion that results, of the differences between the world as a globe and the world as a cylinder, similar to the Mercator effect. Therefore, days are close to the same length near the equator, as they are near the Tropic lines. There does appear to be some attempt by the game to simulate such differences, but it seems to be a single algorithm they used. One thing we noticed in this is that Pearl Harbor is not in its "historical" time zone, in which it was 30 minutes off (I cannot remember which way), such that if Midway was at 1400 hours, Pearl was at 1330. I also do not remember why they did that, and quick searches this morning have been futile.

I do not know how they actually programmed things, and Front Runner and I only guessed at how the clock (or probably "clocks") in the game are done. Rockin Robbins has always said that the game was lousy at its "astronomy", but it might just be the actual functioning of the game on each individual person's computer. If you are pretty well "tied" to 30fps, and your Saved files don't get contaminated or corrupted, then you should have very similar sunrise / sunset times, consistently through an entire career. If your computer is running at say 100fps, that's when using TC in the game tends to slightly 'confuse' the issue, and time "slips" a few minutes a day, one way or the other. One way to tell if you have a corrupted Save is with the clock, in that if when off the coast of Japan, and like you, you are having sunrise at 1030 hours, and that then changes to 0630 hours after a Save and then Load, then you know the Save lost some data somewhere, because you have changed from "Base Time", to "Local Time"...
propbeanie,

Ok, will keep that info in mind. Along with the fps being dogged down to 30fps, I also did a bit of side editing in the main.cfg file, found in Data\Cfg folder, to the section pertaining to '' [TIME COMPRESSION] '', as follows:

TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=128
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=128
CharacterAnim=64
EnemyDetected=1
RadioReport=1
Particles=64
PrayState=256
HunterState=256
3DRender=1024
Maximum=1024

Despite having max time or aka TC set to 1024, I rarely go beyond 1/2 of that, if even that high... I usually hang with speeding up to say, 128 maybe up to 256... rarely do I ever hit 512...

I do the editing of that file, before I even begin starting a career for the 1st time.

As it is, am slated to make way to area 11-B, on My 4th war patrol, & await further orders, which will take Me in that nearly same zone & will pay attention and see if sunrise hits at that same time as before... or not.

If it appears around the same time give or take a few minutes to follow the approximation of natural seasonal changes, seeing as how it is now in the 1st week of May that I am out on patrol.. the time the sun shows up, should if I have it right, should appear a few minutes later roughly around closer to 11'ish sub time... in the same long & lat cords... that I used before, which was just south'ish of Chiba, Japan.

On a side note, after trading up to a Gato, is it common, even though home ported at Pearl, to begin a patrol out of Midway.?

I ask, as right after being in the office & only to check to make sure all equipment, was as it should be (No, no changes made to the Tambor (sub I got was named 'Triton'), nor to the new boat I got awarded to transfer to... which was to the Gato, not just the class of subs... ironically After running that check, I then elected to begin patrol.

When all was said & done with loading to being on the sub (as it were, with NOT actually being on it... ) I noted that I was NOT in Pearl, or outside the entrance... but was instead, at Midway, in the port area... despite having chosen to start outside of Pearl. Normally, I choose to, for a sense of realism, start off docked inside the harbor... as skippers actually did & proceed to make way out of port.

If need be, I can go back into My save, right after docking from My 3rd patrol & see what occurs with choosing to go on patrol from the docks... your call, no problems doing so... I leave that for you to decide to advise done or not...

as a test run...

I've since started doing My saves the following way:

Mad-1A(to differentiate from 1 skipper career from another, I keep a note pad with the skippers name & code I use to keep track of them...) Ptrl-1 (notation of what patrol I am on, additional saves while on that same patrol, get the addition of B, C, D,.. etc., as needed at the end of the patrol # ex. Ptrl-1-B/Ptrl-1-C, etc., etc. et cetera...) 01/05/42 (following the date as is in game) 00:03 hrs (military time stamping... (as I did serve for a wee bit, back in My younger days... Reg. Army, ironic I know, considering I'm a USMC brat... ) in keeping with this being a military service sim...) so that save would like like without the added footnotes... as:

Mad-1A Ptrl-1 01/05/42 00:03 hrs

This avoids overwriting previous saves & any possibilities, I trust, for save contamination... that I know of, as I haven't ran into any yet... knock on wood...

Ok.. gonna stop here, before this becomes a novella...

Signing off...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-02-20 at 06:11 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote