Thread: Atlantic Storm
View Single Post
Old 02-29-12, 02:02 PM   #6
Kafka BC
Planesman

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0

@Leutnant_Werner, Welcome also.

Watch what you do to the x and z scale settings for waves. Reducing the scale too much can cause nasty visual effects when the water is viewed from very high up like from an aircraft. These effects can be reduced by increasing the Patches number however doing this seriously lowers frame rates. Increasing the scale too much can also cause visual effects from height as well. I found this out the hard way when I was trying to make smaller waves for the lower wind speeds and large swells for the higher. The trick is striking a balance, and as rik007 said, it isn't easy.

I have found that modifying the SeaSpeed in Waveproperties in combination with modest changes to the scale and height far more effective in achieving better wave mechanics. Both the stock game and GWX increase the SeaSpeed when the wind increases when they should be lowered to more accurately reflect the effects of something called 'fetch' that the wind contributes to cause sea swells and waves to heap up, which being bigger move slower.
And make a Northwest Passage to the sea.

- Stan Rogers (1949-1983)
Kafka BC is offline   Reply With Quote