View Single Post
Old 12-18-21, 10:24 PM   #28
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RConch View Post
Thank you for looking at this game for us!

My biggest complaint is the engine sound cutting off at random times-is this correctable, or that is that the way it is? I play CAoD not AoD, but the sound files should be the same I imagine.

Again, the current version of CAOD I have, was downloaded from an online source a few years ago after I upgraded from Win XP to Win 7.

I had the original game CD since '95 and from what I understand, many different packages/versions went out at that time (mine is specifically for Win 95). Some played better than others, some were more buggy than others, it was really hit or miss. I know, the CD I got had its share of issues but I really enjoyed it ... when it didn't crash. Sound, was always an issue and often affected by non-supported sound cards. Anyway, after Windows 7, I could not get the CD to load for the life of me and downloaded it from https://www.old-games.com/download/4...es-of-the-deep I think? Been awhile. So, no patches or mods, just what I downloaded.

Now, to your point. Yes, even the downloaded version has some hang-ups which I wanted to address separately in a dedicated thread with hopes of getting work-arounds. Unfortunately, it was met right away by another member who sarcastically commented we didn't need to keep bringing the matter up. Not sure why, never came back with any follow up.

But yes, on the occasional mission, the engine noises cut in and the only way to get rid of them is to dive down and resurface. Its an issue, you just have to deal with it.

There are other occasional issues where you surface but your speed doesn't exceed 7 knots or you try to dive before getting attacked and the boat just sits there on the surface. In those cases, for some reason, the only thing that works is hitting "crash dive" and then … go do what you wanted to do in the first place. Again, until something gets fixed (maybe never) it is what it is.