Old 03-22-22, 08:08 AM   #9
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default ill look in to it 4 ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidtman View Post
Thank for the update, cannot wait to download it when I get home. I love the old diesel electric boats. Just a side note, the test depth on the old Balao and Tench class subs was limited to 400 feet during WWII due to the limitations of the bilge pumps. The subs themselves could dive significantly deeper and would routinely go to 600 feet or deeper to avoid attacks. The crush depth of the thick skin Balao and Tench class was estimated to be at 900 feet with the 35lb (7/8 inch) HTS steel used in the hull.

Davidtman i only did the damage control panels and signature's for all the guppy's

but ill look in to the depth stuff for you and the radar mast stuff though seem to remember some one said the mast was fixed so that's why it doesn't raise on that boat ill ask for you thought when i can

did a bit of digging on my work break tho

Guppy II Program

The GUPPY II conversion (SCB 47), implemented from 1947 to 1951, was generally similar to the GUPPY I, except for retention of both periscopes and introduction of the recently perfected snorkel. The addition of three new masts; snorkel induction, snorkel exhaust, and ESM mast -- required more room in the upper portion of the sail. BuShips approved two different sail designs:

1) The "Electric Boat Sail" had a straight trailing edge, round windows, a wider top and a more rounded forward edge.

2) The " Portsmouth Sail" had a thinner top, curved trailing edge, square windows and a sharper lower forward edge. It was put on all boats, which used the government plans for the conversion.

Some boats with a Portsmouth Sail had an SV radar and needed extra room to house the aerial, thus had a bulge at the sail top. Later modifications put the SS or SS2 radars on these and other boats which had a smaller aerial and had an indicator with interlocks which allowed the mast to be housed only with the aerial in certain angular positions. Also, some GUPPY II and GUPPY III boats had their sails extended higher above the waterline, the "Northern Sail", to raise the bridge, allowing it to be manned in more severe weather.

All boats converted during the GUPPY II program that originally had high-speed drive motors with reduction gears had these replaced with low-speed direct-drive motors, producing 2500 horsepower (1.9 MW) per shaft.

The two GUPPY I boats, Odax and Pomodon, were modified to GUPPY II standard.

Boats Converted:

USS Catfish (SS-339) (Balao)

USS Clamagore (SS-343) (Balao)

USS Cobbler (SS-344) (Balao)

USS Cochino (SS-345)
USS Corporal (SS-346) (Balao)

USS Cubera (SS-347) (Balao)
USS Diodon (SS-349) (Balao)

USS Dogfish (SS-350) (Balao)
USS Greenfish (SS-351) (Balao)

USS Halfbeak (SS-352) (Balao)

USS Tiru (SS-416) (Balao)

USS Tusk (SS-426) (Balao)

USS Cutlass (SS-478) (Tench)
USS Sea Leopard (SS-483) (Tench)

USS Odax (SS-484) (From Guppy I)

USS Odax (SS-484) No. Sail
USS Sirago (SS-485) (Tench)
USS Sirago (SS-485) (Tench Southern Sail)

USS Pomodon (SS-486) (From Guppy I)

USS Volador (SS-490) (Tench)

USS Amberjack (SS-522) (Tench)
USS Amberjack (SS-522) No. Sail (Tench)

USS Grampus (SS-523) So. Sail (Tench)
USS Grampus (SS-523) No Sail (Tench)

USS Grampus (SS-523) Aerial View (Tench)

USS Pickerel (SS-524) (Tench)
USS Grenadier (SS-525) (Tench)

Steel Shark