View Single Post
Old 04-08-10, 06:00 PM   #2
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

I generally use the shoot or "fire" bearing. In other words I find the target. Plot its speed and course. Once I have done that I look for the perfect attack (90 degrees of close bow).

Since I know that at 0 bearing I am at 90 degrees I put my periscope at 0 and enter in the solution, ie Speed Range and AoB. By the way Range is the absolute last thing I put in. Usually the last minute before I fire.
Normally before I set my range I enter Speed and Range into the TDC and turn it on. Once I have done this I look for the point in the periscope where the gyro angle (lead angle for the torpedo) is 0 (keep in mind this is not 0 on the periscope bearing. If the gyroangle is 15 degrees and we have it set to 0 periscope bearing I know that my fire bearing is 15 degrees on my periscope bearing.)

After I have a close and relative fire bearing I then wait until the target is around 10-15 degrees away from it. I make a "guess" at the range given how close to the target I am and how fast I'm moving and (VERY VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!) I set the periscope back at 0, I turn off the TDC, I enter the range (remember this will slightly adjust your fire bearing the reason we do this early). Once I enter the range I turn the TDC back on and find my fire bearing again. This is usually maybe a degree or two in either direction from the original bearing.

Once I have done that I double check all my setting in torpedo, ie the tubes are open speed set to fast, detonator set to impact, the normal drill.

Now this is where the action begins. By the time I complete this the ship is getting very very close to firing bearing. Keep in mind where we have our periscope pointed is the 0 degree for the gyro angle. Meaning that what ever part of the ship crosses this line (say the forward mast, usually a bulkhead I like targeting that with one torp. But say the forward mast is right on your 0 gyro angle and you fire. If your solution is correct that is exactly where your torpedo will hit. So there isn't any reason to move the periscope once you find the fire bearing.) you will hit. I like firing at least two torps to make sure the one I fire isn't a dud. So the first torp I like aiming at the forward mast (again by aiming I am waiting for the part of the ship to cross the fire bearing.) Once I fire the first torp, I wait for the engine room (Generally Directly under the Smoke Stack.) Fire your second torp.

After that its just a waiting game. If your solution is correct your torps will be dead on. Of course if the target spots your torps they will do evasive maneuvers. So it might be a bit off, but there isn't really anything you can do about that.

Usually two torps with one in the engine room is enough to either fatally wound or seriously maim any target. It is is still somewhat afloat kill it with your deck gun and fire another torp.