Old 11-09-15, 03:52 PM   #3065
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Gap, Sjizzle, anyone...
Has ever anyone tried to "transform" coastal defenses into unmovable sea units so that they could be "parked" just of the shoreline and do their job?
Yep, in the past I had the same idea as you but never really experimented with it. The two main problems are that the dummy sea units would still be reported by watch crew as "ship sighted" and, more important, ME doesn't allow sea units to be placed on or near land. We could bypass the latter issue by editing fake artillerie's position manually, but then I am not sure what would happen in game. Maybe coastal defenses would "sink" under the terrain (a possible workaround to this would be using TDW's patch), or they would collide with the terrain, bursting into flames before we could even spot them (again, we could remedy this side-effect by making the new units undestructible).
I think Trevally and sober have placed hundred of different unit types on the SH5 map; maybe they can offer some precious suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
What was the actual problem with coastal guns? IIRC, TDW tried to fix them but he eventually gave up, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
The guns could be placed fine - the issue was in them not tracking or firing
Exactly that. As of now SH5's coastal defences are just a piece of junk, except for their capability of detecting and reporting enemy units which was fixed by TDW, I think. They can even be equipped with hydrophone sensors, acting as antisubmarine loops
gap is offline   Reply With Quote