View Single Post
Old 11-24-06, 06:23 AM   #100
holden88
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Great thread, great site, great game. A few questions and observations from a new player.

I'm having difficulty managing crew fatigue. It doesn't seem like my men are recovering endurance at all when sent to quarters. Also, I don't heve near enough space to rest all my idle men. I end up putting the un-used manpower into the battery compartment or a torpedo room. Unfortunately here they suffer endurance loss even if they aren't doing anything. After a while I have a boat full of extremely fatigued sailors. Is endurance recovery affected by the sea state? Can you recover endurance quicker if you you dive your boat to get under a storm? And if so how deep do you need to be?

The computer selected settings for crew assignments can be quite annoying. For instance, I hate that the computer shoves both of my skilled seior mechanics on watch in the engine room at the same time. It would be much better to have these guys on a rotation. In fact the entire notion of the captain manually selecting individual members for mundane crew assignments is pretty silly. On real warships, crew members rotate on a watch rotation automatically. In my opinion all the crew stations should be swapped out by the computer every four, six or eight hours, without the need to involve the captain. It can be quite tedious to interrupt my voyage all the time to manually move guys around on the boat. Also, in this game guys can stand on watch for days at a time!

Every now and then I get a radio message which refers to longitude and latitude. How can I see these co-ordinates on my nav map to determine where to go?

Is it just me or can you simply hit escape and end your patrol at any time? Regardless of damage or fuel state you can simply warp back to port safely. Is it just the honor system in place here to restrict people from essentially cheating? It can be real hard to resist warping home when you've had a paticulairily good patrol or are in real trouble (or both).

Numerous times when steaming through the straights into Wilhelmshaven my ship would take massive damage and sink. I assume I'm hitting mines. How do you avoid these things? Can they be spotted? Why doesn't my captain have some prior knowledge as to roughly where these mines are laid? There should be some known safe routes, shouldn't there.

Thanks for any help or comments.
holden88 is offline   Reply With Quote