View Single Post
Old 08-31-21, 07:05 AM   #44
hughesjr
Watch

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Sorry to necro .. but .. does the decks awash setting (using snorkel depth as outlined in post 1) actually reduce your detection profile .. either from Radar or Visual.

Or is this just aesthetic only?

I suppose I can try some tests .. but I am not really interested in doing it if the only impact is it looks cool.

Edit:
OK .. some things I would consider 'critical' to decks awash, that we don't get:

1. Can go almost normal speed surfaced speed, not dive max speeds. (In testing on the Porpoise, I went for 18Kn to 12Kn for 8.5m .. I can live with that (propulsion is still on the diesels. At PD I get 9kn it seems)
2. I need to be able to have watchstanders on the bridge. It seems I can't .. they rig for dive and leave, I do not see any way to put them back on the bridge .. I can go to the bridge though. This might just be a misunderstanding of how I can control the crew for now. (It seems I CAN see the ships on the map as if I had lookouts on the bridge, even though they are not there.)

So, basically, it seems to me that the only real thing this does is allow me to charge the battery and I can ride on the bridge, but no lookouts. It also seems no sonar working .. no sound contacts. Only what I personally see on the scopes or on the bridge can I target. So this gives me a way to charge the battery, looks kind of cool .. but leaves me completely blind. I would only do it if I could prove it reduced the ability for people to see me as I lost all my crew target finding (at least it seems to me).

Not for me I think.

Last edited by hughesjr; 08-31-21 at 08:30 AM.
hughesjr is offline   Reply With Quote