View Single Post
Old 11-05-14, 03:21 AM   #25
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead1971 View Post
by someone in your country named Lothar Gunther Buchhheim- Uboat War.
Lothar-Günther Buchheim was the War Correspondent (or better war artist) Werner played by Herbert Grönemeyer in the movie "Das Boot". He wrote the book on which the movie is based on. "Das Boot" is the first of three about him and "der Alte" (Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock, played by Jürgen Prochnow in the movie). The second book (which I like most) is about the times when Willenbrock was leader of the 11th U-boat Flotilla before and during D-Day invasion and about escaping from Brest. The third one is settled in the 70s and is about their last journey aboard the Otto Hahn, a nuclear powered merchant cargo ship. Willenbrock was the Captain of the Otto Hahn. They talk about their memories in this book.

I would say Buchheim is the most famous former U-Boat man in germany today. More famous than any of the aces. He made $300 million after the war with an art collection. But actually the guy who played him in "Das Boot" is much more famous

But I haven't read the book you've mentioned

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote