View Single Post
Old 08-25-17, 04:59 AM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

AC = Assetto Corsa
RR = Raceroom

I do not use just any ordinary joystick or wheel. Fanatec stuff is quite the creme de la creme on the public consumer market. There is more expeisnve stuff, but then you talk several thousand coins. These need their own dedicated drivers. fanatec does not provide linux drivers. FFB under Linux by many sim drivers is said to be lousy to nonexistent anyway.

Then there is CH manager software for CH joysticks, throttles etc. Not for Linux.

You see, I do not want to play something I am not interested in just becasue that is what is avialable under Linux. I want to run that stuff I am really interested in. Only very few games at Steam which I bought, have Linux support. And none of them I play too often. Subnautica. ArmA3. Rarely Tennis Ellbow 2013.

Assetto corsa pushes the CPU to the limits. Raceroom will benefit from beefier hardware as well once they mplemented the planned new graphics engine in two or three years. On a weaker notebook than my main PC, with weaker graphics card and then under Linux in a VM, and with no FFB support for my Fanatec cockpit - forget it. Playstation 4 is th eonly altwernqative there, the wheels and pedals I picked are compatible.

Its not just some random opportunistic joystick choice of mine, Barracuda. Its stuff costing as much as a whole computer. There are games at Steam that run under steam OS and Linux, and its becoming more, i know. But that usually are not to the kind of games I am interested in.

And then, after all: I know Windows 7 quite well now. Under Linux, I am still a newbie, just a user wnating to switch stuff on and stuff then is running. I cannot need problems under Linux that I could solve under Windows. Because under Linux, I cannot. Thats the reason why I planned since two years to either keep a gmae Wndows PC and a Linux station for evertyhign else, or replace the PC with a console, loosing 90% of my gaming. But I feel i do not want to give that up so easily.

And then there is VR. Assetto Corsa in VR. Hehehe.

If going for a new system, its better to spend a little more and have no regrets one years later already, than to save some money, and hitting the limits already after this one year. I would make it dual boot again.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-25-17 at 05:12 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote