View Single Post
Old 08-18-17, 05:16 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
Sorry I'm late to the game here, been busy with RL....

UEFI could be causing all of the grief here.
Since I'm not familiar with your Notebook, just a few things I would check.

In the Bios on my Gigabyte mother board, I can set (most of them individually) each "part" (usb, etc.) to be either "Legacy" or "UEFI".

If I turn UEFI "off", but leave something such as usb set to "UEFI only", then I won't have my usb until I turn it to "Legacy", or one of the "either/or" settings. (UEFI/Legacy, or Legacy/UEFI, sets the 'primary'.)

IF UEFI is on, and the boot UEFI "key" (in the OS) isn't correct, it will "break" on boot.

Can you install 17.2 and do a "system upgrade" to 18.2?

I don't mean use the "software updater" program.

The program for Fedora that allows me to upgrade from, for example, F25 to F26 is command line only. As it is a rather long and drawn-out process. (The upgrade, not typing the command.)

This may be the way the Manufacturer did it. Installed 17, then upgraded it after install to 18.

I've done it before when Fedora had issues recognizing my RAID in a previous version.

I'll see if I can find any info on MINT 18.2 having issues with UEFI.

Lastly, hardware issues will show up in MANY ways that don't appear to be hardware.
I'm not saying it is the hardware, but I've been in the same situation.
ALL the evidence pointed at something else. Which is exactly why I started swapping parts.

Barracuda

EDIT: Bit short on time here, but I did find this after a quick search....

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-amd64-package

I thought I would post it here just in case you did run across a similar error during your attempts.
I'll keep looking later when I have a bit more time.
I think the hardware does not get recognised correctly, it probbaly is alright (no broken matter), but configruation is messed up on a level maybe below UEFI.

One day later I managed to play around in the UEFI by just trying random option settings, until one combination allowed installation of 17.2, and upgrading to 17.3, also suddenly the drives were listed in the UEFI again wher ebefore they were not . However, the nVidia graphics board does not get recognised, I am on intel graphics and software rendering mode 800x600. Switching to nVidia driver sends the noteobook into recovery mode next time it gets booted. Also, the touch pad does not work, cannot be activated.

Mint does not allow - as far as I know - to upgrade form 17 to 18 on the fly. I think that was cnaged from 18 on, but not 17. I am on 17.3, and cannot get 18 installed. The boot media still do not succeeed in ionstallation - maybe because the installaon runs into configuration problems and cannot access some hardware - the graphics board for example.

I was found by some bad personal news this week, then the notebook anger, and the main PC I use (dual boot) also starts to shake and became instable. I am currently in wait-and-do-nothing mode, I am exhausted a bit, and frustrated, and a bit locked in place. Lousy week this is. One day when my batteries have recharged a bit again, I probably give the notebook into repair at some locla shop, I do not want it to travel back and forth via mail to benefit from the warranty, the telephone talk I had with them did not give me the impression they understood what I described, and the ASUS support I tried was a lesson that I will keep on mind and take as an argument to never buy something of Asus again. It really is all coming together down on me this week. And its like I always said: Linux is nice as long as it just runs fine and you do not need to go deeper beyond the surface the normal average3 software user skims on. But once problems arise, and you are no well-versed Linux insider, you are lost and forsaken by the heavens. There must be a reason why Linux fails to reach the private user market almost completely - since 20 years. I predict this will not be any different in another 10, 15, 20 years. And although Microsoft lost customers in the past 2 years - it was not Linux collecting these migrants, they went elsewhere instead. Linux market shares shrunk during these two years, from I think around 1.8 or even 1.9, to 1.4 now. Also, look at where Linux is dominant, or major player: that is server farms for example. Companies., on server farms it can have markets have shares varying between 40 and 70% or so. All these have in common that they are maintained by professional experts, people who know Linux for their profession. The private user market seems to be b almost non-existent.

Add to all this the outlook of that maybe W7 cannot be installed on new hardware as well, I have seen more and more reports of people being blocked form that no matter which clever tricks they tried. Then I looks W7 as the only basis I really do know well as well - being faced with W10 then, where my W7 knowledge now is of as much use as under Linux.

Really, I currently have enough of it all so very much.

I'm really grumpy these days. And all this mess only because I wanted to create a Linux Live stick. Have done that several times under Windows, never a problem. First time done under Linux, and an atom bomb goes off.

My specs, btw:
Asus N752VX, i7-6700HQ, 12GB, intel HD530, nVidia GTX950M, SSD 256GB, HD 1TB