View Single Post
Old 08-13-21, 04:18 AM   #5899
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default U53 - Type VIIb - 2nd patrol - part 2

Oct 8, 1939
AN79 0227 Crew on deck sights a small merchant ship closing. Weather still good, wind 7knots, and it's a dark night. Lowered the boat to 7 metres to reduce the chance to be spotted. Ahead standard and moving in to position.

AN79 0241 Deck gun made a quick work of the tiny Pelagic Trawler. ahead full and back on course.

AN79 0249 fired at by Torpedo boat! light damage and no casualties. We've been lucky, could've been the end of U53. The boat will stay down for a while and clear the area.

AN79 0347 Sonar report multiple contacts heading SSW, moving slow, closing. Sounds like a convoy is coming our way.

AN79 0402 convoy spotted, mostly small merchants, larger one is a medium cargo and it's on the other side.

AN79 0404 that's a big warship crusing right in the middle of the small merchants. Seems the HMS Nelson...

AN79 0412 shot 4 torpedoes, 3 aimed to the HMS Nelson and one at a passenger/cargo close to it. Manouvering to aim stern tube and fire tube V.

AN79 0413 one torpedo went off early. damn magnetics. Will 2 be sufficient to sink such a big one? doubt it...

AN79 0415 two hits on the Nelson and one hit on the Passenger/Cargo. Destroyer and ASW Trawler rushing in. I'll try to sneak away and attack the Nelson once again.

AN79 0419 managed to fire tube V at Nelson, but its a long shot...still it was worth trying...Passenger/Cargo slowing down.

AN79 0428 That last torpedo missed. I'll try to break off, surface and circle around to intercept again from the other side. I've been too greedy, should have focused all our firepower on the Nelson.

AN79 0452 Been able to give the slip to the two warships searching for us. Convoy going on heading SSW. HMS Nelson seems unaffected. Passenger/Cargo low astern but back to normal speed, trailing just a few hundred meters behind the convoy. Time to surface the boat.
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote