View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 10:08 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcowz View Post
No but I am stopped, albeit probably still drifting at 1-2kts. Let me try again at 0/180.

Thanks.

Heds
That will throw you off in the speed calculation if you are looking sideways from yourself. Even what looks like a little bit of speed, if you are moving only 30 degrees to the line, you drag it sideways by halve of your speed. So 2 knots become 1 knot. Still significant. If you move, make sure you are turned towards or away from it. When you move along the line then it stays fixed. If you move to an angle of the line than you are dragging the line sideways and keep moving the finish line for target.

Also make sure you are not looking at it too bow-on. You need to clearly see the point of the bow, and the end (usually marked by a flag), to know when to time it. I don't know why the video presenter tells you to wait for where the water meets the bow. With a sloped bow it would depend on the weight and draft how long it would be along the waterline. Maybe it is constant, maybe a mod changes that level. Who knows. It is the extreme length that maters, that is what is in the recognition manual.

As for the RAOBF, I guess that is ok. I am not familiar with this particular mod, or have not played SH5 at all much. But I did invent this mark for calculating speed way back in SH3 days for the OneLifeCrisis GUI. Some mods have it in different places because of their own particular zoom levels and optical scale size. If you are using the exact same mod as in this video then you can rely on it. (As it proved to be the right one in this)