View Single Post
Old 12-30-10, 10:42 PM   #170
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910
Uploads: 0

Chalk it up to drift and/or set.

Actually 2nm (4000 yds.) isn't that bad for DR navigation. If your bridge is 20' asl you can see the horizon out to 5.2nm (according to Bowditch). So, if your trying to make landfall, 4000 yds. is in the ball park. If it's dark, layoff, till twilight, then make your approach.

Alas, with SH1, raising the scope (high-scope) 60', you could see over the horizon, out to 9.1nm.

If you dissect, Mike's brilliant script for Python, you'll notice that the formula for determining your true game Lat/Long, located in SH4...\Save games, are numbers divided by 120,000. This is what converts the numbers generated by the game's engine into Lat/Long that are usable for navigation purposes.

Every time you do a "Save" your true location will be updated. Real Live navigation is accomplished on Mercator Projection Charts. The games navigation is modeled on something the Dev's invented to fit the F5 chart on the player's screen.

I do most of my chart work on plotting sheets. I annotate the F5 screen with "X's" wherever my "fixes" allow. Usually my fixes and where the game shows me to be are pretty dang close. Admittedly, DR in the game leaves an awful lot to be desired; but, taken on the whole, I'm very entertained with the Silent Hunter franchise.

Happy New Year.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote