Thread: 688 Q's
View Single Post
Old 02-05-11, 09:43 AM   #4
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0

I don't believe 688i will run in windowed mode, at least I have never found a way. What you can do is set up a Windows installation in VirtualBox and the run 688i under VirtualBox. As VirtualBox runs in a window, your 688i will be running in that window, if you see what I mean. The downside is that 688i runs at 640x480 resolution so that means it will run in a 640x480 VirtualBox session which can look very small and be hard to read on a high resolution monitor such as 1920x1200. As far as I know there is no way to "scale up" the VirtualBox window in the same way as is possible with DosBox. VirtualBox works well for 688i since it only uses DirectDraw, but does not work for Sub Command or Dangerous Waters since they use Direct3D. The latest versions of VirtualBox do allow a form of Direct3D emulation by translating the Direct3D calls from the VirtualBox machine into OpenGL calls on the host (at least that is my limited understanding), but this does not work well, at least not yet, and is terribly slow even on high end machines and has drawing artifacts to boot. Maybe one day...
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote