View Single Post
Old 04-08-14, 12:57 PM   #2
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

I promised some tips for AA. Because something is worrying me. The year is 2014 and I still see people post screenshots of SH4 that make my eyes hurt, with no Anti Aliasing and the horrible post processing filter enabled. Below is such an example. Do you think that this is beautiful? Then just skip the rest of this post and enjoy your game m'kay?

I have no idea how it happened, but out of the box Silent Hunter 4 in most cases runs without AA.

The thing I have to do was force AA through the driver settings. Go into your drivers configuration and uncheck "Use Application Settings" under both AntiAliasing and Isotropic Filtering. Set it for example to 4x AA and 8x AF, depending on your system and framerate. Afaik: If the driver is configured to use application controlled AA, it will not work in Silent Hunter!

Interestingly I also have to set a certain resolution, or it will still fail. At 1680x1050 it will not work or only partially work. This may be highly unusual but on my system I need to set a 4:3 resolution and I found 1400*1050 works best.

Only if you see no jaggies, you have configured SH4 correctly. Otherwise you need to do something else.

You may also do yourself a favor and disable Post Processing. It only makes graphics look brown and much too dark Perhaps it was only added because it distracts from the lack of AA, who knows.

Bland and boring?

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 04-09-14 at 12:56 PM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote