View Single Post
Old 03-21-23, 10:01 AM   #10419
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The US plans to dleiver Abrams tanks "sooner" than previously planned - already in 8-10 months. I wonder - what in that timetable is "sooner" than previously planned?

To make this possible, not the M1A2 should be delivered (they would need to be equipped with new downgraded armour, and for some time there even was talk of even more modern versions), but instead the M1A1. Officials get quoted with saying the earlier version were easier to maintain and easier to operate.

From the perspective of SBP which includes both versions I must say I would not dare to list the operational differences for at least gunner and commander as so significant that there is a real difficulty jump between the two. But that is my opinion based on just SBP's depiction of the two, so I will not offer the final word on this thing. But I think its a strawman argument to wrap the decison for older tanks in some candy floss to make it look more acceptable.

In SBP I would prefer the Leopard over the Abrams anyway, if it is only about easy operation. The Leopard was designed with conscripts in mind, so handling and maintenance were even greater priorities than in the design of the Abrams.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-21-23 at 10:13 AM.