View Single Post
Old 06-04-11, 10:16 AM   #8
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
It's cheap, fast and with good overclocking potential. And it's cheap!
Have by now used it in quite a few gamers rigs for young lads on limited budgets - runs everything especially when paired with a decent graphics board.

Die Frau won't be disappointed.
Exactly, the price was right. Especially for something I'm going to be building myself and might very well screw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster
You really wouldn't want me to start up on that one?
In that case the list is very long and seems to be ever growing...

Perhaps you have a whole new combo incoming?!

But just keep on at a slow pace. Everything is really straight forward, logically and very simple.

Make sure connections to and from mb and peripherials are tight. Same with cards. And that you remember all needed connections!
I have a running list of what I intend to put in there, always checking to make sure the mobo has the connections for it. Since I'll probably get another PSU (I intend to leave the one in the current rig where it is) I'll just have to make sure it has everything I need as well with regard to power connectors... but so far with everything I've looked at, this doesn't seem like it will be much of an issue. What I'm wondering about with that right now is, modular or non-modular? the modular models sure look nice but IIRC generally cost more.

Quote:
Didn't catch this one first time:
If you're thinking of buying two at this stage, I must recommend getting a 5870 instead! Again...
Can I Crossfire that with the 5770? For some reason I had it in my head that the two cards had to match. It's entirely possible I misunderstood something I read somewhere.

But again the price may be the clincher, the 5870 was quite a bit higher when I looked before. It's a decision that may still be down the road a-ways, but I'm keeping a regular lookout for sales and specials. And also having the case on hand will help, since I'll know exactly how much space I'll have to work with. One reason I went ahead and got it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Let me know what it ends up costing
Updating the first post with prices. What I paid, not current listings, so YMMV.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 06-04-11 at 10:52 AM.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote