Old 01-08-23, 02:58 PM   #31
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
https://www.dw.com/en/how-to-make-au...video-64305202

Well, I like fried fish, and I like fried potatoes (chips, fries, Fritten - however you call them). But I cannot get used to have vinegar on fish or on chips.

German chips (Pommes) are traditionally served with salt and mayonaise or ketchup.

Most comparable to British fish & chips is a dish over here consisting of fried fish like the British do it, plus potato salad. In Southern Germany, potato salad indeed is made with clear sauce that includes also vinegar (and I do not like this version of potato salad at all), but I prefer the more Northern way of doing the potato salad with onion, mayonaise, cucumber. This is also the majority of industrially produced potato salds available in supermarkets. The fish I like then as "Müllerin Art".

The taste of frying oil. Delicous. Just the quality of the oils used for frying is always a health desaster: inflammatory Omega-6 in absolute overkill doses (when using sunflower or rapeseed oil, with soybean oil and peanut oil all kinds of other allergens are further added in high doses) . Why must all delicious things be a hazard to your health, and most healthy things boring and bland, often even bad?

I "oil-fry" potatos in the pan nowadays, using coconut oil (looses its coconut taste when being heated) or cleared butter. I prepare them like "Bratkartoffeln", but without any herps, onions, bacon. When done, I dry them a bit, and have salt and mayonaise on them. That way they are and taste like chips/Pommes Frites to lets say 90%. Works good enough for me.

Fish I almost exclusively have either in Tomato sauce or in a hot chilli oil for pasta (tuna or makarel), or grilled salmon with a self-made dressing of avocado with dill, wild garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, olive oil, parmesan.
Takes me back to the days when I was living and working in Holland (Dordrecht). Friday in the factory canteen was predominantly 'fish day' and I was the only person who asked for their fish to be fried unlike my Dutch colleagues who preferred theirs raw/pickled.

One day one of my Dutch colleagues commented "You Brits are really funny, when I was in London (he was an ex-submariner in the Dutch Navy) I noticed you eat your fish and chips from newspapers"

I responded "yes, that is an old British custom but we also ensure the fish is cooked prior to eating it"

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote