Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomen
[links]
Nice hypocrisy here.
Don't confuse the actions of others in my country when I do not support them or do
anything to support them.

I'm all for memorials for the airmen and the crew of U-864, but not for any kind
of military honors, glorification etc.

Quote:
For the small Soldier the goal was clear: To keep your country safe... The Polish start shooting at you, and 2 days later the English and French are declaring war on you and start air raiding you country.

Propaganda is a powerful instrument, even in these days.

You are apparently willing to make amendments to your judgment for those 'who fought the just cause' or rather unwilling to see it from perspective and without any peeking at 20/20 hindsight.
Exactly!
Back then it seamed the right and honorable thing to do, now we can see it was not.
Their ignorance goes some way to excuse their actions, but we can not use it to
justify our actions.
As long you are coherent with your views to all nations, then that is more then fine with me. Actually, I am on your side in this. As said before, I just have a huge problem with selective perception based on wartime views.

about your points here:

Quote:
The sun still does not set on British soil all year round. It has been a very long time
since it did.

I don't think I am looking at anything with rose tinted glasses or jingoistically.
There are plenty of British who deserve no honor because they fought in a
dishonorable war and/or fought in a dishonorable way.

It would be highly questionable to most people (but not all, it is still controversial) to
have a statue celebrating the fire bombing of Germany or (less controversially) the
British concentration camps in South Africa or the troops who fought in the army at
the time and therefore indirectly supported the concentration camps.

Aside from that, it is not even about bad things happening.
Even if there where no concentration camps, etc in Germany (or SA) the German
army would not accrue any kind of honor as the war had no honorable purpose.
Unluckily I can't agree to this views of yours, not because I doubt your good intentions, but because of the overall picture the british nowadays present.
If you check what's going on in british tabloids during football games, parties Prince Harry attends to, episodes of Top Gear where the cast comes in flying Spitfires to show the german contenders what's up, then I can't help but to think of a country with some huge issues regarding their history and self esteem in the present. Your argumention of "honorable" versus "evil" supports this view.

And now please tell me what war serves an honorable purpose? That is a contradiction in itself. Young ppl die on all sides for the mistakes and agendas of polititians. And the real reasons polititians go to war are never the same to those they tell the public.

For the german public it was the polish corridor and percieved agressions, but also revision of the Versailles treaty, for Hitler it was powermongering and Lebensraum.

For the british public it was helping the Poles and freedom in general, for Churchill it was the age old policy of balance on the continent and die hard economic/strategic interests. There is a reason Britian declared war on Germany, not vice versa. And the reasons were not of humanitarian nature, that one is for sure, else Britian, France and the US would have allowed Jews to escape into their countries en masse, which did "not" happen, not to speak of the after war arrengement of Europe. Freedom for Poland, hmm hmm. More hypocrisis right there.

Honrable my a**, war sucks, period. There is no good and bade side, just bad and worse.

Last edited by Bewolf; 02-03-09 at 12:05 PM.