View Single Post
Old 06-21-21, 09:10 PM   #3474
AviatorMan
Watch

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

I've just started using FOTRS and am running into a serious problem with aircraft. I've tried to start 4 different campaigns in the past day, all Asiatic fleet on Dec 8th and every one of them has ended in the same way within a few in-game days. I start getting hounded by aircraft that spawn right on top of me within an hour or two of being surfaced, sometimes they are far enough out that I can manage a crash dive, but about 25% of the time, they appear right on top of me, already attacking. This happens day and night and no matter how long I stay submerged, they're right back at it within a couple of hours of surfacing, forcing me to crash dive again and try to hide for a time.

I have two major issues with this:

1: They are spawning essentially right on top of me so even if I do manage to dive, its only just barely before the aircraft attack and they still often drop bombs within a few yards of my boat.

2: This is happening so early in the war / career and so relentlessly that I've been 0 for 4 in attempts to make it to my first patrol zone before taking major damage or being sunk outright.

So I really need some guidance on how to deal with this. Is there some setting / mod that will reduce the level of these attacks? Am I doing something wrong in my approach (i.e. should I be running on lower time-warp than 1024, or maybe staying submerged for much longer after the aircraft are spotted?), or is this just the way FOTRS is built and if I don't like it, I should look elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong, I know full well that aircraft were a major danger for subs, but if I can't even make it to my first patrol zone before getting half of my equipment destroyed, there isn't going to be much room for an enjoyable experience, especially when there doesn't seem to be even a chance of spotting the aircraft before they spot you. For comparison, I played many hundreds of hours with TMO + RSRDC in the past and while aircraft were an occasional threat early in my careers, they was usually one-off encounters where I'd run into an aircraft patrolling across my course and not repeated attacks that just spawned basically on top of my head time after time.

Thanks for any guidance here.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote