Old 01-11-08, 06:31 PM   #25
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustahl
"The problems:
- nVidia hardware is really good but the image quality "out of box" really donīt mach the one of the ATI cards. The main motive is that nVidia uses another type of AntiAliasing (MultiSampling - more FPS, worse AA result, more shimmering texture in general) that isn't so good as the one of the Ati cards (SuperSampling). IMHO, this is really a cheat that nVidia uses to show more FPS on the bench sites..."
unquote

Not to offend anybody, but I'm puzzled why it is implied that nVidia does not perform at AA Supersampling.
I have never had any problems with nVidia drivers (at present 169.21 WHQL) and AA Supersampling and good FPS. For my overclocked EVGA 8800GTS 640MB on a 22" wide screen at 1680 x 1050 I use following settings in the nVidia Control Panel:

"Manage 3D settings" > Global Settings (or game specific Program Settings):
Anisotropic filtering: 8x
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
Antialiasing - Setting: 16xQ
Antialiasing - Transparency: Supersampling
Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware
Error reporting: Off
Extension limit: Off
Force mipmaps: None
Multi-display/mixed_GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Stereo - Display mode: Use vertical interlace monitor
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off (greyed out)
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality: High quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: Off (greyed out)
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: On
Vertical sync: Force on

Although some time ago I took a look at nHanser, I decided I don't need it, as the above settings in the nVidia Control Panel provide what I want. Image quality is superb, textures crisp, beautiful sun halo, all photorealistic. As a previous ATI user I know abt image quality.

In order to totally eliminate/prevent any jaggies in SH4 it is important (for me at least) to use "Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting". Any other alternative settings than "override" give me jaggies.

I use the Battle off Samar Single Mission to test graphic settings due to the very fierce action with simultaneous explosions etc., and my frames range between 20 and 60 fps (60 fps max. LCD native) with all maxed out in the game itself.

These details are just to share my experience that correctly chosen driver settings in the Control Panel is all I need for optimal visuals. Additionally I use Riva Tuner 2.06 for OC only.
Hi mate,
Thanks to share your experience.
Note that 16xQ isnīt a SSAA, but a new multisample AA by nVidia called Coverage Sample AA, what isnīt yet like the SSAA (speaking in image quality). Also note that the Supersampling in your configuration above is just for transparency.

Even the MSAA 4x is good but if you look in more detailed way you yet will see some shimmering texture here and there. Only SSAA really get rid of all shimmering textures. I donīt have so much experience in SH4 tweaks (Iīm yet in truth a SH3 player...for a while), so, at least for SH3 if you use a nvidia card with more than 4xMSAA the sun halo go away.:hmm: