View Single Post
Old 10-27-21, 11:05 AM   #32
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Strangely, HMS Phidias is not listed in OB.330 on Arnold Hague database : http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/ob2/index.html
Obviously an oversight since the same database lists Phidias among the losses of Convoy OB.330:

http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/ob/index...ses.htm~obmain

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread...
You are on topic Mister_M, OB.330 is one of the convoys "in color" we are discussing, and SS Phidias is among the ships skecthed by Commodore Rogers as part of that convoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
It is listed in your site under ship search in OB 94 FEB1940 & OB 170 Jun 1940. Your Hague site shows 42 vessels in OB 330??!! The commodore only drew 39 vessels !!?? and certainly knew what was in his convoy!: Thus, the Hague data base is not Primary Source material! We'll rely on the Commodore!
Maybe the Hague dtabase includes enscorts in the count?

EDIT: no, I just checked that, it doesn't

Quote:
This confirms my idea that, in war time, it was not so easy to find the exact paint color as required by "official" rules... :
In part, yes.

Indeed time factors and paint availability played a big role. Many ships were sunk before they could be repainted, and there was no colour omogenity among the ones which eventually were repainted. You were right on that, but you had also speculated that old ships might have been not worth the extra paint, and this is the point that I and kapuhy disagreed on

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-190 View Post
I think. that I should try to draw something for ships using a color table courtesy of our amigos.

Good idea, but please read my final notes at post #30
gap is offline   Reply With Quote