Old 10-17-21, 04:11 PM   #5134
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revus View Post
Cheers bud.
Finishing up the next report. Knocked out one convoy, one singleton, and hit another convoy leaving Rabaul from the south. Got two large AP's before running out of torps. 7 ships in all. Even had a possible encounter with a submerged sub, went down and quiet and let her pass. No clue whether she was friendly or not, but I didnt want to get close enough to find out.
Nice work! I look forward to the report

Good move to let the sub pass, if it was enemy, and likely was, hitting them them is pretty impossible (homing torpedo wont go after them, too quiet, trying to remedy that, for late war fun) unless get lucky. I have tried in testing on sonar bearings lol on one had stalking me off Marshall Islands. If they detect you, they will try and stalk you, get in range for a shot. They can make about 9 knots under water like a US sub can, but they do not have limited battery power lol. That one at Marshalls probably stalked me for over 24 hours, until I finally made a high speed run for half the day to open up distance. They will also respond when aircraft etc spot you.

If it was friendly, well obvious do not want to torpedo them, would end your career. Turns out, fratricide is frowned upon in SH 4. lol

How did you detect it? Curious? Sound catch it while submerged, on surface?

In future, I want to see if can get a periscope modeled for the submerged subs, so sticks above water. Also, want add wakes to torpedoes. While Japanese torpedoes had minimal wake, they not not completely wakeless. For me, knowing they are lurking around and can torpedo, really adds to the sim. Make sure to do sound checks myself, trim dives, even sail on a zig zag now instead of strait course. First patrol in SKATE, trim dive saved me on the way from Midway to lifeguard station off Wake Island. Just after diving, I did a manual sound check and heard torpedoes coming in, went to 100 feet, silent running, they passed overhead. Sound then picked up the submarine. I had external cam off, so could only go on sound.

Just wrapped up second patrol in SKATE, which I started on Thursday lol and posted report with some screen shots just a moment ago. Patrol was a busy one for shore, North of Truk December 1943-January 1944. Took down seven ships, five cargo, two tanker.. I was testing the longer sinking times mod ont his patrol with some modifications to it on this patrol, so not quite as easy to sink ships as was before, unless have volatile cargo like tankers, they still blow up nicely, as shown in screen shots. Kind of cool though, they will flood, go dead in water, list, took one an hour to sink. Depends where torpedo hits them etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote