View Single Post
Old 10-16-21, 04:04 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

[QUOTE=SirCory;2774695]Very good point. I've mostly been using FOTRSU, but I have been giving your new TMO updates a try. Two very different economical speeds. Historically, how often did they refuel/refit? How long were patrols supposed to be? I know this is a game, but I'm trying to get some historical play from my part.

Thanks for sharing your tips. QUOTE]

Ah, yes, use the maximum range at current speed, range to course end buttons on the Navigation Tool Bar at bottom of screen. There is also a time to course end, which gives ETA at current speed. Play around with these tools at different speeds and will help you decide. Make sure batteries are not charging as will give false estimate if they are. Not sure how I did not mention it. I remember this being one of my favorite features in the mods , huge oversight by UBI not to include these functions in stock. Thanks propbeanie for reminding me.

Historically, and of course there were times it varied as war demanded, but patrols were typically 30-60 days, I believe one was 91 days if I recall correctly . War changed and bases became available closer to the patrol areas, their duration decreased somewhat since transit times to and from were shorter,. Could depend on your area also, get into a busy area, may not be there that long, in real life, and sim due to the targets. Get to a slower area, may take a while to find something to attack, if anything.

Typical Pearl Harbor patrol for boats bound for Japanese Home Islands/Yellow East China Sea, Luzon Straits for most of the war was : Depart Pearl Harbor, stop at Midway to top off fuel tanks, make any last minute repairs etc, then proceed to patrol area , patrol until torpedoes, fuel expended, or otherwise ordered. Then they would head home, if in need of fuel would stop a Midway, if not, would just bypass and head to Pearl Harbor. Figure 10-15 days to patrol areas depending on distance, etc. , another 15-20 in patrol area, another 10-15 home, seems about average .

No problem, I understand as it's a simulation, not a game, operating historical/realistic manner keeps things interesting, its a huge part of the design of mods I work on.

So if you are in TMO, and want historical accuracy, cruise at standard to and from areas, adjust speed based on fuel estimates (nav tool bar) to 10-11.5 knots crusing in area. Plot out the distance to patrol areas and using the nav tool decide which speed is best if its a long trip. Like I said, a times can lower speed to 14 knots or 14.5 knots and still maintain standard speed, but that 1 less knot, as you will see, saves a lot of fuel. .

If not out of the way stop for fuel top off before heading to patrol area, if it makes sense do so. Out of Pearl, Midway or Johnston Island, depending where you are going, or if out of Fremantle, Australia, Exmouth Gulf, or Darwin if it makes more sense to stop there than Exmounth, sometimes it does depending on where boat is heading. For Brisbane based, Tulagi or Milne Bay are usually good refuel spots on the way to patrol area or en route back before making the trip to Brisbane.

Another advantage and also one used in real life, is your sub is not such an easy target at 15 knots vs 9 or 10. In TMO there are now submerged AI submarines (Well of course FOTRS as well , where I got them from) that will fire torpedoes at you. Contact with these is pretty rare but it can happen, one nearly got me last patrol. Fast moving, more difficult to target accurately. Kind of a pain but I started mapping out zig zag patterns so when I am at TC running along(never above 1056) , not sailing in a strait line and an easy target.

I am looking into altering (if possible) the "Search pattern" button in the navigation map, so could put in a zig zag pattern and save the trouble having to do it manually. Historically, boats eventually were equipped with a motor driven device that manipulated the wheel, so ship automatically zigged, saving helmsman a lot of work. They could preset a pattern. This change in TMO would reflect this device

Plus if on surface and get an aircraft coming in, you will dive faster as already have some speed on.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote