Old 10-12-21, 10:13 PM   #3
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
TMO 2.5 Update

Interesting bit I observed on last few patrols in USS Seal SS-183(Salmon) is that one particular Torpedoman 2nd Class in after Torpedo Room, who had been on boat since December 41 and made all six patrols, been through all the comes with, started to crack easy.

On the 4th patrol, aft torpedo room took a close depth charge, injured everyone in compartment, damaged equipment etc but all repaired quickly. Except this TM2, morale was "shaken" for nearly rest of the patrol. Since returned to normal kept him aboard as he was highly skilled torpedoman and gunner.

On the 5th patrol he was fine, although I noticed he fatigued faster than others.

On the last patrol October 24th-December 2 1942, we started in Fremantle, Australia, fueled at Darwin, patrolled off Palau then ended the patrol at Pearl Harbor (instructions on how to do this will be in upcoming TMO patch) . I noticed after departing Darwin, his fatigue and efficiency level were lower than others, a bit lower actually.

On 4 November off Palau we were depth charged, but it was largely ineffective, but lasted for five hours or so.

On 9 November, while just outside the north entrance to Palau anchorage, Seal was depth charged following an attack on merchant (torpedoes prematurely exploded) . The aux sub chaser turned out to be first tea, delivered probably the second most effective depth charging since December 24 1941 when boat was nearly lost in Bashi Channel, Philippines due to hull damage and heavy from two top notch DD's depth charge attack.

Attack lasted several hours, Every compartment had serious damage at some point in the attack. The aft torpedo room took the worst, with flooding, damage to port prop shaft(even after repaired, boat would never get above 19 knots on surface for rest of patrol) all four torpedoes heavily damage, including tubes 6,7 which were not operational for three days after and required five to completely repair them.

Once flooding was controlled , checked on the injured crew in aft torpedo, all were reported injured. Most injuries were minor with health levels not falling below 95 percent, except for the one TM 2. Health was at 88 and his morale was "shaken". Checked status after another hour of depth charging, he was now listed as "manic" I removed him from torpedo room and placed in crew berthing.

Seal finally escaped and surfaced around 0100 on 10 November, heading west to regroup and repair damage. This torpedoman was still listed as manic. Eventually his morale went back to shaken and by time reached pearl harbor, he was at normal. However, his efficiency remained low. While in port, he was rotated off the boat.

I find it interesting how the sim simulates this. In past have not modded the crew too much but am paying attention as I plan to make some changes in future.

Only one other time have I had a crewmember or noticed one that was manic. Was injured and manic, and actually passed away en route to home port.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
More immersion is good.