View Single Post
Old 10-06-21, 12:59 AM   #22
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Finally got it working! I had to put the folder in the main steam folder and I had forgotten to enable LAA, in any case when ever I put the game in an outside folder it never works for any of the mods installed. Very hard, I'm having prematures ect. I might have to play baby settings. Anyway my steam is in a programs x86 folder but on an E: drive instead of the default C: all three mods I've installed work. now. Thanks again! This is very very dark nights in the mod. Should be easier to approach on the surface like they really did. Thanks for all the time you put into this bubblehead!

Glad to hear you got things working, glad to help. Enjoy the mod and let me know about your patrol experiences in the mod.

TMO is at its core, a difficulty mod, so definitely a challenge, even for experienced players.

Yes, the nights are definitely dark now, this was done for reality as it gets pretty quite most nights on the open ocean and so could pull off realistic surface attacks in manner subs actually did.

Torpedoes definitely will malfunction now unless you have malfunctions disabled in the options. The malfunctions reflect the historical issues with the Mark 14 torpedo from start of the war until September 1943...

1. Run 10+ feet deeper than set. This was mostly resolved in late 1942 and nearly completely solved by mid 1943 with new production models of MK 14 torpedo. In the sim issue gets better in late 42 but persists , albeit it less frequency until mid 1943 and rare after June 1943. the Mark 10 torpedo runs 4-6 feet deeper until February 1942. The Mark 18 torpedo in first six months after available has depth control issues as well.

2. Premature explosions. Just as in real life, the magnetic detonators tend to prematurely explode. By default, the sim associated this with wave height but I disliked this as the issue was not wave height, it was a sensitive exploder not properly tested and tuned to account for variations in magnetic signatures in the actual areas would be used in combat. I changed it to no matter the sea state, torpedo has a certain chance of prematurely detonating, which has proven a more realistic portrayal of the issue.

3. Duds, much as in real life the dud torpedo problem is masked (mostly) by the magnetic detonators until they are disabled, then will get a high percentage of duds until September 25, 1943. This is when the first torpedoes with new firing pins were deployed on patrol. Duds problem solved. Trying to fire "glancing" hits with torpedoes, where their angle at impact is 45 degrees or less (not easy ) will lessen duds.

4. Gyro failures are a bit more common. Sometimes gyros failed and torpedoes did not track properly.

5. Circle runs. A real issue during the war, especially Mark 18 , but Mark 14 during early days. Two US (Tang and Tulibee) submarines are known to have been lost to circle running torpedoes during the war, possible several others were as well.

Torpedo issues were part of the US sub experience during the war and are in TMO as well, I would encourage you to run the sim with them enabled once fee comfortable. This keeps tonnage levels during early part of the war. Every patrol thus far in my first career since completing mod, I have only sunk one or two ships on patrol and it is a struggle to get that lol. Missed out on a aircraft carrier and several other merchant vessels in four patrols due to premature but also brought about some of the best encounters in this sim in early war. Below is a link to a written account of one engagement on my last patrol with screenshots. Scroll down to my last post "SS-183 vs KIGAN MARU"

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...93#post2772793
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote