Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCod View Post
Hi all,

SH IV and U-boat missions are at 75% off on Steam. Been trying to decide between these and U-boat for a while now. Decided to buy these, esp since my PC is about 8 yrs old. My Q's (for now!):

1. Can your add-ons & mods, etc on this site work with the Steam version?

2. I've read that patch 5 (1.5?) is needed to make the game worthwhile. Is that the U-boat missions? If not, is it available on this forum? Is is bought separately?

I have only been playing Silent Depth & the Crash Dive series, and I played Silent Service years ago for the Atari 800. I bought SS II from Steam but never played it. I realize there will be a long learning curve, and I'm in the busy time of the year for my work, but I couldn't say no to getting both these games for $5!

Thanks.
Questions, answered....

1. Yes. Just have to make sure for which version of SH4 it is for, but... yes they will work. Other thing that needs to be made sure of, is following the directions for adding the mods in, make sure that you don't install either Steam or the game folder or Library as it is called, in either Programs folders in C drive.

Make sure to right click on the SH4.exe & uncheck the write only for it, so that the mods can work with it.

Make sure to use either a 4GB patch to assign the game 4 gigs of RAM access... or locate, download & use Large Address Aware or LAA as some refer to it... I, Myself... recommend LAA, as it is pretty simple to use. 3 step process & done.

Lastly, use of MultiSH4, if you are going to make & use more than 1 copy of SH4 and mod it. This tool, makes a separate game save folder for each modded copy of SH4...

2. Yes, Silent Hunter IV Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions, is v1.5 & most mods now, rely on this version, in order to work.

On the aspect of having to grab both v1.4 to get v1.5, I am not 100% sure of... am thinking that it should work with just grabbing v1.5 only... as I did find it through the Steam search feature... listed with v1.4 as well... each with their own pricing...

Myself, I played Silent Service, but was on the original Nintendo system & got Me hooked on playing sub sims...

Hope this helps...

M. M.