View Single Post
Old 10-01-21, 10:46 PM   #1
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support Jiggly Water Syndrome, 14yr Bug Has No Fix?

Hello all,

Some of you may already be familiar with this problem, but many I fear, are not. Whatever the case, I have decided to post this to hopefully broadcast to a wider audience.

The jiggly water syndrome is a graphical glitch in vanilla SH4 (both steam versions at least) in which, as the title suggests, the ocean water exhibits a jiggling effect whenever moving the camera or periscope view in any direction. The effect seems to be directly tied to the rate of camera movement and can seemingly happen anywhere at any time (all the time in my case). This issue may also be referred to as "jello water", "jelly water", "shaky water", or "trembling water".

I have spent the past couple days scouring these forums and other sites to try to find a solution to this problem, but to no avail. I have tried many different possible solutions with several different mods and .exe patches, I have tried adjusting every in-game graphics option, I have try numerous different resolutions and refresh rates, and I have tried making several tweaks to various Nvidia graphics options. NOTHING HAS HAD ANY EFFECT.

For reference, my system specs are:

Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080ti
Intel i9 10900X
64GB of RAM
1TB M.2 NVME SSD

Monitor is a MSI MAG271CQR, 1440p @ 144hz connected via display port.

I really want to get back into SH4 as I did back when to game first was released (I didn't have this problem back then), but this very annoying glitch is something I can't just ignore. Please, if anyone can help, I would truly appreciate it and I'm sure there are a handful of SUBSIMMERs out there who would as well. It's been nearly a decade and a half folks, there has to be a solution by now.

Thank you!