View Single Post
Old 07-03-21, 10:14 AM   #204
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you basically have a bone-stock install, try emptying the Save folder, which can be reached with several short-cuts in Win10, but is usually found in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar, depending upon your Windows version and install. That holds the information that the game runs off of. It might still have some old settings that are interfering with running the game now.

Next, the DirectX v9.0c is best installed from the game set-up. The disk version of the game will give you a menu of choices of parts to install, with "tick" boxes for the choices, such as the "DirectX v9.0C" and "DirectX Codecs". Both of those are important. The last time I did a Steam install, I did not see those choices, and I cannot remember them from my Ubisoft Connect install, so I cannot help you there, but you do need both parts. However, if they installed with the game, you should NOT need to use the MS distributable package. Overwriting should also do no harm though.

Once those are set-up, the actual video stream configuration can be a source of troubles. The display monitor will have a "Native" resolution, such as a 4k monitor might be 4096 × 2160, but not always. My monitor has 1920x1080 as its "Native". In any case, the Windows display drive (whether ATI, nVidia or Intel or whatever) should be set to the same, which Windows would display as "(recommended)", such as "1920x1080 (recommended)" for my monitor. Then in the game, set the game's display to that also, which is on the Options, Graphic Settings pages. Some users cannot find an exact match to their displays, but if you can't find an exact match, choose the same aspect ratio, such as another 16:9 choice, that is lower than what your display is.

Looking at that picture on the previous page:

On my one computer with the larger display and dual vid cards, after clicking on the "Change high DPI settings", I had to click that top box for "Program DPI" "Use this setting for...", which then enables the "Use the DPI that's set for my main display when" and I chose the "I open this program" from the drop-down box in the middle of that 2nd window - In addition to using the "High DPI scaling override" and setting it to "Override high DPI scaling behavior - Scaling performed by:" and "Application". So on the main "Compatibility" page, I have "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and "Windows 7", "Disable fullscreen optimization" and "Run this program as an administrator", in addition to that "Change high DPI settings". No two of my computers have the same set of settings there though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-21 at 11:25 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote