View Single Post
Old 05-09-09, 10:33 AM   #38
GulfXray
Seaman

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
First manual sinking....

Using the Dick O'Kane method.... Night Attack from ~900yds submerged... Freighter...

However, it took me four tries with a break to rewatch the DOK video for the 2nd time today...

For some reason, my torps kept going about 5 degrees in Front of the target - only thing I can figure is I somehow messed up setting the shooting bearing in the periscope... Well, there was the one time I shot behind the ship because the Exec entered the AOB wrong...

Anyways, after rewatching the video and writing things down step by step, I hit with 3 of 4 torps!

The one question I have is in the video RR points the 'scope at the target and waits for the 'crew' to identify - this never happened for me, any ideas? I am running TMO, RSRD, Max Optics, Websters Ship Manuvering, Crew Qtrs for TMO, & ROW Sound v9.

Update; Well, I seem to still be shooting in front of my target by a few degrees (or .5-1 target ship length) when aiming at the middle of the target. When shooting at a freighter I am using a 10deg lead angle and calulating the shooting bearing like this with target approach from my port 360-10=350deg and like this with target approach from my starboard 360+10=10deg. I then point my periscope down that bearing, click so it is locked, and then send distance/range to the TDC again. Things look OK on the target map, but No Joy ...
GulfXray is offline   Reply With Quote