Old 01-10-23, 09:52 PM   #705
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

17 October 1943
Georges' revenge

Philippine Sea
USS Skate torpedoed and destroyed a minesweeper guarding the eastern exit of the north-of-Mindanao sea lane that is becoming critically important with both the Luzon Strait and Celebes Sea essentially closed to surface traffic.

DEI
I had been bombing Manado regularly as there were only bombers based there. The bombers were apparently evacuated and replaced by fighters, so for today I switched to sweeps. 15 P-40s came out to play and were challenged by 4 Zeroes; 1 Zero was shot down.

I've divided up my daily heavy bomber raids between Ambon and Kendari. The Arizona and New Mexico are also doing laps from Ambon to Darwin; shelling, reloading.

I'm making an airborne push along the Flores island chain, extending west from Timor south of Makassar. The objective of this push is to establish air cover over the island of Salajar, slightly south of Makassar. This move should make Makassar untenable to hold (which is now their nearest major airbase with Kendari essentially knocked out by air raids). It would also put merchant traffic in the Makassar Strait at risk and, if I wanted to, I could build up the base enough to operate heavy bombers that could reach Surabaya or Balikpapan--although I'd rather just take Makassar and use that base. Recon flights are showing all targeted bases empty of enemy troops. Today, the 1st USMC Parachute battalion landed on and captured Pantar, Lomblen, and Larantoeka.

CENTPAC
A raid of 47 Hellcats and 27 Avengers targeting Saipan was intercepted by 33 Georges and 15 Tojos. Most of this raid came from the relatively inexperienced air wing of the Bunker Hill and the CVLs it deployed with, and it appears they were up against crack Japanese crews flying their best fighter. We got 3 Georges and 1 Tojo... with a loss of 20 Hellcats and 3 Avengers. At least we dealt serious damage to the airbase, accumulating with prior damage. Those enemy aircraft should be taking operational losses from landing at such badly damaged bases, and the George has a terrible service rating to begin with.

Thinking the enemy would be off balance from their ground defeat yesterday, I ordered an attack today... no luck... 306 (J) to 950(A), forts holding at Level 4.

ASW aircraft reported 2 hits on enemy subs this turn.

Reinforcements
DD Izard arrives at Balboa
APA Monrovia arrives at Cristobal