View Single Post
Old 06-11-13, 01:27 PM   #4
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

If you do maneuvering board type plotting, there is a simple procedure by which to do this that you can do in-game without resort to having to use MoBo (which is a really great tool). Of course the procedure contains certain assumptions about the target and your sub, but it works given those assumptions.

Basically, you construct two sets of congruent triangles with each of your two sets of three bearings (taken at two different sub courses and speeds) so as to triangulate the target. Doing this you can get its course, speed and position as of the final bearing taken. It's like the 4 bearing method, only you don't stop with 4 bearings.

I don't know why more people don't do maneuvering board solutions. It's easy to do in-game with no extra tools (save maybe a pencil and paper to write down basic observations) than you have in stock, other than having a nomograph on the nav map. You aren't locked in to having to try to be fast to plot based on where your moving sub icon is on your map. In fact, if you just write down your observations you don't even have to plot as you go. You can figure out what you want as needed.

I play using a pencil and paper to write down observations and the is/was I made using components printed from a pdf that can be found here. Other than that everything that really needs to be done can be done with teh in-game nav map tools. MoBo is great and is very useful, but I just got tired of tabbing out to use it. After becoming proficient at generating maneuvering board solutions I found I didn't need it anymore.

Creative use of the tools available gives you all you really need to do the vector operations that can do everything from track targets to graphically figure out firing solutions. If you understand the PK you can use it as a calculator as well, but often the PK is employed in other work when I want to do some figuring so I do it graphically.
sckallst is offline   Reply With Quote