Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
"the exact shade could vary depending on what was available"
Quote:
"availability of specific paints was a problem especially if ships were spread over many ports, so it wouldn't be unusual to have convoy consist of varied paint schemes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=152218
"Another reason was of course the availability of paint. Standard schemes were difficult to introduce among ships serving all over the world. Some ports would have sufficient available, other ports would not. Some ports may not have the exact paint needed, so something 'near enough' would have to do."
This confirms my idea that, in war time, it was not so easy to find the exact paint color as required by "official" rules... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
In real life, I don't know how much time it was needed to repaint a whole ship. Maybe lack of time ? Lack of crew ? Lack of equipment (in wartime, all is restrained) ? Lack of... money (and you will have to repaint again the ship after the war) ?... Or even other things that we just cannot have an idea or we just cannot imagine...

Quote:
"general rule was to paint everything in dull colours."
Quote:
"on varnished wood: ... the dull colour was considered sufficient"
Quote:
"decks and upper surfaces were painted in dullest possible colours"
I'm not a native english speaker, and I can't understand very well what does the key word "dull" mean (even with WordReference.com). Does it mean "dark" ?

So in fact, "dull" paint was better than "light grey" ? ... This would be logical, since dark paint will render your ship less noticeable from the air and during night times.

Last edited by Mister_M; 10-27-21 at 03:15 PM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote