View Single Post
Old 03-08-13, 07:03 AM   #8
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
a large part of me tends to think that Ubisoft is going to be very disappointed by taking the title in this direction and expecting to make it into a WOT / WOW cash cow.
Possibly true, but consider that this is a browser game and requires much less programming & development than a true Silent Hunter game, also it recycles many assets 3D models etc from the previous titles but most importantly this time all revenue goes directly to Ubisoft there is no packaging , no retailer no transportation, no middle men.

In a typical retail game Ubisoft would probably make only about 25% of the price you pay here at a store, now they make 100% on each & every purchase. Therefore it is a much less risky for them, piracy is eliminated completely and even with lower customer numbers it's potentially a more profitable enterprise.

I think pay to play sims could be great "Rise of Flight" being the best current example. To my mind however Ubisoft have taken the wrong approach here in going to the browser rather than a full 3d client experience. Unfortunately for us the profit they could potentially generate on SHO may blind them to an alternative/better solution in the future. On the other hand if they make a loss and it's a disaster they would probably wash their hands of the series altogether, rather than giving it another try with the more risky costly full 3d client solution.

Last edited by Sonarman; 03-08-13 at 07:28 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote