View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 05:22 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Yeah, I didn't want to touch this question until some other guys weighed in.

RA is what it is. RA is still on-going (?) and what it gets right has saved an old game from becoming a bore. There are a multitude of drive-able platforms now, and the game looks better when you crank up the display resolution. Its also fun to goof around with some of the new weps that are available (my next bike will have a super-cavitation mod ).

The problem is that you can't play RA like DW. We know RA was developed for multiplayer gaming, but a multiplayer gaming... what? No one is offering any clues of what RA is supposed to be. I've guessed in the past that RA is a modern version of World Of Warships, mostly because the game play looks similar and no one has said I'm wrong.

You can't hide in the ocean anymore in RA. Depth and thermal layers don't mean squat. So, if you're looking to drive a sub its going to be a very short and tragic experience. Its better to drive as fast as you can and just keep shooting, which is not submarine, or even Naval, warfare.

I can understand the Nationalistic slant. We all have our own world-view. I also understand that there are a lot of pre-conceived notions out there about what submarine and Naval combat really are. I still have my first pair of dolphins in a closet somewhere, while most folks don't. To be really honest about it, Tom Clancy didn't do us a lot of favors with his first book.

I can also understand that these are just games we're playing. Trust me, you wouldn't enjoy a true submarine simulator unless you were already addicted to coffee. I'm hoping RA isn't done yet and some balance will return later on.

Feld, again welcome aboard. Pulling a twenty year hitch ain't easy and you've got my respect, I was only able to do six years and one month* before all of the chairs disappeared in 1993.

*- That one extra month was considered "convenience of the government". Basically, the Navy wanted me and a bunch of my buddies GONE while my command and Squadron 7 wanted to force the Navy into letting me re-enlist. Guess who won that fight?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote