View Single Post
Old 03-31-11, 02:26 PM   #12
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Yay, another Das Boot thread - but unlike Obama threads, I can't get enough of them
The only thing I find odd about the NA-release is that the English audio doesn't seem to be included - I think it's pretty cool that all the actors dubbed thir own voices - provides an authentic feeling with the German accents.
Regarding the English subs: they are exactly the same as what they say in the English audio dub. I assume they changed the dialogue in some scenes to stay lip-sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
My next computer may include a Blu-Ray player, but I don't own a television, so I'm bummed because the extras look kind of nice.
Should be no problem - as long as you have a software player and your gpu & monitor both support HDCP - which all the newer devices do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
One thing I'll be curious to know: In my VHS copy of the original theatrical release the water is actually blue, not green. I don't know how, where or why the change was made, but in all the underwater shots it's blue. What will it look like in this version?
Odd, as the water is supposed to be green. Two possibilities: they screwed up the colour correction while they made the VHS or - more likely: NTSC - or as we say Never The Same Colour . Just tune the hue on the TV - this was always the first thing I did when I was in an North American home where the TV was running - job habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Some of the translations are downright laughable. There is a scene early on in the film, just before the first practice "Alarm!!" drill where a crew member, probably the cook, is wending his way through the centrale and he's carrying a crate of eggs. In one subtitle version, he calls out "Eggs!" as a sort of "Make way" or "Watch Out" notice. In the uncut version, the subtitle says "Screws!!" I'm not versed in German, but I'm pretty sure the subtitle shouldn't say "Screws!!"
Oh, I always thought you were an Austrian immigrant, due to your nickname.
I just watched the scene. He says "Warschau! Eier!" - "Watch out! Eggs!" - in my version this sentence is not subbed.

Another odd thing that I noticed while looking for this scene:
When our narrator gets the Tauchretter thrown at him, in the English version they say that it prevents him to smell Frenzen's feet, while in the original they talk about Frenzen's farts
I don't want to smell neither off them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Yeah, that one's kind of bizarre - I'm pretty sure the spoken word is "Eier" which is definitely eggs. IIRC even the crate he's carrying is marked to indicate the contents.
Yup, it's somehow funny that he says nearly the same as what is written on the crate. Like the TV cooks, who explain everything they do while you can see it at the same time: "And now I walk over and fetch the eggs..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I think "Eier" is also used as a slang term for testicles but I'm not sure how they ended up with "screws" in the subtitles.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote