View Single Post
Old 03-23-24, 06:34 AM   #859
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Head of UN agency says Israel blocked him from entering Gaza - and he says it would be 'easy to flood besieged territory with food'

Quote:
The head of the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees says he has been blocked from entering Gaza.

Philippe Lazzarini claimed it was the first time this had happened to an UNRWA commissioner-general in its history.

Speaking on Sky News' The World With Yalda Hakim, Mr Lazzarini said it would be "easy to flood Gaza with food" - but he was prevented from entering the besieged territory earlier this week.

He has accused Israel of singling him out and challenged the country's claim he was barred due to mistakes on his entry application.

Mr Lazzarini, who has been to Gaza numerous times before, says he was the only member of his delegation to be blocked by the Israeli defence body COGAT from entering on Monday.

It comes as Israel faces pressure from Western allies, but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu remains steadfast in his commitment to a ground invasion of Rafah, where he claims Hamas's remaining battalions are hiding.

The nation has been accused of restricting the flow of aid into Gaza, something it has denied but the UN previously said could amount to war crimes.

Talking to Sky News, Mr Lazzarini said: "It is easy to flood Gaza with food, it's easy to reverse this trend."

He continued: "I was supposed to go to Gaza on Monday. I was in Cairo, when I was informed by the Israeli authorities that I will not be allowed to go into Gaza despite the fact that the rest of my delegation was allowed to enter.

"It is the first time in the history of the agency that the commissioner-general has been deliberately denied entry into Gaza."

UNRWA is the largest aid organisation in Gaza. Israel has accused the agency of providing cover for Hamas and alleges at least 12 UNRWA workers took part in the October 7 attack on southern Israel.
https://news.sky.com/story/head-of-u...-food-13098871

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote