View Single Post
Old 02-07-08, 08:15 AM   #2
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Hello Stan,

This is a strange situation you have there. Normally the towed array being more sensitive than the sphere should pick up any contacts that the sphere has picked up and give you a merged contact on the nav map, which in turn gives a more accurate firing solution. Were there any other platforms other than Charlie Class showing on the narrow band selection screen? I assume not by your post. Also, was there a line in narrowband at 50Hz, this normally identifies a Russian sub, not sure if the Sovremenny Class destroyer has similar characteristics though. Demon can be used to determine a sub from a surface vessel, but you have to have a good solid contact for this to be accurate in my experience. Other than that I am stumped, others may have a solution for you though.

What I would do in this situation depends on the mission orders, I would probably try and get closer to this contact and positively identify it using both towed and sphere arrays. Also, if the sound of the contact is the opposite of what sonar thinks it is, it might be prudent to go to periscope depth and raise the ESM mast to see if any surface contacts were in the vicinity and using their radar.

I'll have to fire up SC and play the Seawolf campaign as you have mentioned this campaign before and it sounds quite interesting.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF

Last edited by Captain Nemo; 02-07-08 at 08:39 AM.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote