View Single Post
Old 04-10-15, 11:38 PM   #1
Avimimus
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Tactics for dogfighting in the Alfa / 705?

I was wondering if anyone had tactics for using the Alfa at speed (and what is actually plausible)?

I've been experimenting. At 43 knots sustained speed most torpedoes (even 55 knot ones) can't run it down. ASROC falls behind it, as do depth charges. So long as you are approximately headed away from an enemy you seem to be relatively safe. So theoretically you should be able to run strait at the closest enemy, fire your torpedoes and then turn around to flee - then repeat until all enemy ships are destroyed.

Unfortunately, passive sonar suffers from washout so completely that it is basically useless (so you don't know who is shooting at you - or if there are 8 torpedoes one mile behind - following you around like they are baby ducklings following their mother). So, you are piloting blind based entirely on a 'theory' of where the enemy torpedoes are coming from.

In fact, active sonar doesn't seem to be working. I have it on continuous and I passed within a couple of kilometres of an OHP frigate without registering its position on the active sonar? Is this realistic?

Thanks,

P.S.
Also any tips on fighting once you are at these speeds. Is it true, as I assume, that everyone can hear you at these speeds - even at depth?
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote