View Single Post
Old 10-25-17, 02:15 PM   #7
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I went to a local computer store when I built an AM3 Athlon II 2.8ghz for a family member, and told them I wanted a 4GB stick of DDR3... 1666hmz.

Store: "You don't need 4GB for games...."

Barracuda

Amazing what these computer "experts" know. Maybe at the time you could get away with less RAM, but one thing you should never cut corners on when building a new rig is memory. Get as much as you can because it will eventually be needed and it will always help a game or application run better and more stable. And even more important....buy QUALITY RAM! Don't buy the half price marked down no name stuff because it never performs as well as the brand name stuff like Corsair, Kingston, G-Skill, etc. A lot of them have to dial back the timings just to keep the RAM running close to stable and not crashing your rig. Or they have to turn up the voltage powering the RAM to help it run stable with tighter RAM timings and the stuff ends up running HOT and cuts its life in half. Personally I usually buy Corsair most of the time. Great compatibility, stability and performance for the price.
I know trying to spend your money wisely and not buy the latest "bleeding edge" component is hard sometimes, but you have to balance that with buying quality and performance, not just low price. Remember....you always get what you pay for!! I had a blast building my own rigs and its a rush when you power that bad boy up for the first time!!

G'luck and have fun.
"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote