View Single Post
Old 02-07-22, 10:58 AM   #14
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiTRay View Post
There is one more thing I'd like to ask on the forums. What is the best way to run SH2 & DC?

I run them on Win7, but unfortunately Erich Topp videos won't play in SH2 as well as Ship Interiors in DC. Looks like a QuickTime problem, but all the videos and interiors work well outside the games. Game intros play as intended, though. I tried the same in Win10 and there were no problems at all, but I don't own this OS. Another option I tried is Wine under macOS where everything works absolutely good, except the shaded surfaces which are completely black. Looks like a sort of a lighting problem.

I consider setting up WinME or Win98 in DOSBox-X and try to install SH2 and DC there. Obviously, it is not an easy task.

If anyone knows any other easier ways of getting a better experience with the simulators I'll be glad to read it.

The best solution would be VMware, as it runs Windows 98 at very high speed. And this is actually an easy task. You can find VMware ready installs on archive.org. I have used this solution for playing Flight Simulator 98, as it is the ONLY way to run FS98 nowadays. Just make sure you use VMware workstation, so you have access to all graphics and aspect ratio settings.

Forget DOSbox for anything over Windows 3.1. And DOSbox X is maybe the slowest around, at least on Linux. Running SH2 on Windows 98 in a DosBox environment I think you would be looking at a 1 fps experience.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote