View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 03:34 PM   #14
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Nice skin Just as a note of nomenclature, though, Tarnmatte was an anti-radar coating and Alberich was the anechoic stuff. Tarnmatte was only really used on snorkel heads, as they were the biggest radar reflector when at periscope depth. It also was made of rubber and rust, so I imagine it had a reddish appearance.

ref: http://www.uboataces.com/sonar-coating.shtml

Alberich, on the other hand, was black rubber that was tiled all over the boat and probably looked a bit like this:

To do a weathered alberich skin, i would do some peeled off tiles and some rust in the gaps, much like a lot of the Soviet SSNs of the 80's.

Anyhow, nice job and keep up the good work!
Thank you for the advice and info. I don't think they would remove the Albreich Coating when applying Tarnmatte to Snorkel.

I actually read these refference a couple weeks ago. This article was my muse to make this skin. I had also read some other articles I found talking about the process of applying anechoic coatings and how some WWII German U-boat Chief Engineers requested the straps used to hold the rubber mats in place during the application process, not be removed from around the engine room and aft.
Sometimes during WWII, even U.S. Subs strapped rubber mats to the aft top deck to reduce noise output. Not sure about Sonar Absorbing ability.
Since I didn't have any textures or color photo's to go by, this is what I came up with. I did try to get that pealled away material look. Follow along the weld halfway from the waterline to the main deck near the bow.

Bottom line to this and the beginning of this epic adventure is... I was looking in the GR2 files for the FuMo-61 and FuMo-65 Radar Antenna and found this:
Coatings Info directly from data\Objects\Sensors\Uboat_Sensors.GR2 ( <-- merge Uboat_Sensors.SIM):
AntiSensorCoating @ Alberich Radar = 0 Sonar = -15 TextureSuffix = _albrecht
AntiSensorCoating @ Alberich_Improved Radar = 0 Sonar = -25 TextureSuffix = _albrecht
AntiSensorCoating @ Tarnmatte Radar = -25 Sonar = -25 TextureSuffix = _albrecht
AntiSensorCoating @ Tarnmatte_Improved Radar = -35 Sonar = -35 TextureSuffix = _albrecht
All four coatings are using the same Skin. The TextureSuffix would have to be edited in the .SIM if you wanted to have these coatings available in game as upgrades or they would all look the same and only the stat boost changes.

NOTE: data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors.GR2 has a bunch of upgrades not available in game, including the Snorkle Mast. I was going to fix the bugs in data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData\Equipment.upc and data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData\UpgradePacks.upc when I got sidetracked on this. To much fun to be discovered...

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 06-26-10 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added accurate "SH5" Coatings information
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote