View Single Post
Old 08-30-12, 01:12 AM   #120
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
It's such a shame that the only game out there that really offers this level of detail that a lot of us wargamers crave, is this game that's becoming a buggy mess with each update. They're the only kid on the block for this.
I think that your definition of 'a lot' is probably different from the one that means, "we'll make lots of money from them" quantity.

Quote:
I'm very impressed with Global Conflict Blue 2. I don't really care about having 3d models in it. i think that's going to limit it a little. I think I would much prefer a full world playing field with just a map and unit screen that looks like I would imagine a monitor in a war room would look like.
I totally agree. Naval War: Arctic Circle went the 3D route, too. I think it is one of their biggest sources of problems. They spent a bunch of time implementing it (badly) and it probably causes most of the slowdown/freeze problems.

The same is already happening for GCB2 and it hasn't even released. Most of the units in the databases lack of 3D images. It isn't causing crashes, but it probably slows down the number of units that get added. Of course, you can always resort to the generic ones.

Quote:
I tell you what. I actually REALLY LOVE the look of Harpoon3ANW. The vector looking screen, while outdated, REALLY looks like how I would imagine one of those monitors in the Pentagon war rooms would look. It's very 80's Wargames looking and I LOVE that. The only interface feature that I would love is to be able to drag the different maps and windows out of the play area and onto my desktop. I play on a laptop and it has a wide, but narrow screen. I have to keep the Harpoon window small to keep the aspect ratio right. It would be nice to be able to utilize my whole screen.

I wish more wargames would use vector graphics looking monitor screens instead of those new fangled modern 3d flashy graphic stuff.
That's because the real AEgis combat displays aboard the CVNs actually look like that.

With regards to playing Harpoon on your laptop, are you able to set the resolution that is 'just smaller' than the max window size of the screen? That is what I do on my desktop. By keeping it just below maximum, the proportions are maintained and you only lose a few centimetres at the top/bottom. The way to do this is to drag sliders in the ANW launcher to the max size and not just accept the default values.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote