View Single Post
Old 04-02-23, 12:49 PM   #456
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I only heard of it. How does it compare to TrackIR?
They're similar, but Tobii is more advanced. I own both, so I do have the ability to compare.

Tobii has less encumbrance. You don't have to wear anything on your head. It has just a small strip that you attach to the bottom edge of your monitor and plug into a USB slot. Normally, you don't even notice it. If you launch a game that uses it, a couple of red lights come on, otherwise it stays dark.

You can adjust FoV, maximum yaw angle, and speed. Everything is done by that small, unintrusive strip at the bottom edge of your monitor. There is a minimalist mounting frame that attaches with a strong adhesive backing to your monitor. The electronic strip then fits to that with magnets, so if you need to adjust it, or just want it out of the way temporarily, you can just pull it off and set it aside. But it's so small, I've never had to move it.

Tobii tracks both head movement, like TrackIR, and eye movement. You can use both, or disable one or the other. I like both enabled. The head tracking works much like TrackIR, without the head unit. The Tobii just sees you and moves with your head in-game.

With eye-tracking enabled, you can keep your head still and just glance to the side with your eyes, and in-game you get the same effect as doing it in real life.

In THCOTW, if you raise your rifle and look through your scope, it leaves you in peace and does not interfere. But when you're not aiming, it's quite helpful for just normal looking around, tracking, and stalking animals.

THCOTW has built-in Tobii support. I also play ArmA II with it, and the Tony Stewart racing games have built-in support. There are quite a few supported games. I like it. Next best thing to VR. I've retired my TrackIR 5 Pro setup.

Tobii Eye Tracker Website

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote