Thread: Win10 and SH4
View Single Post
Old 09-01-16, 05:20 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Myself, I like them both. If you have the SSI Aegis Silent Hunter Commander's Edition, it's a relatively simple process now to get it to run on a Windows machine. The "freeware" program D-Fend Reloaded at Sourceforge (which I'd mis-spelled above) makes things relatively painless. You might have to do a little bit of hand-editing of a couple audio configuration files, but D-Fend Reloaded does most of the work. Refer to SubSouWesPac's web page. About the middle of that page, you'll see reference to "Patching" the game, but you shouldn't have to do that. About 2/3rd of the way down the page, they refer to the configuration files that might need some tweaking. I'm not certain if you have to do the registry tweak they talk about in the XP Install instructions, linked to near the bottom of the page. They use DosBox in that article, and do all sorts of configuring (and you still might not have sound) that you won't have to do if you use D-Fend Reloaded (other than maybe audio settings tweaks). Otherwise, it's still a similar process to get it going in Windows10. You might have to change your User Access Control (UAC) setting in Windows, in order to get things set-up. Again, refer to that SubSim forum section below here in SH1 is working!

It's a really good simulation, but lacking in graphics and detail that Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific (WotP) has. However, personal taste will tell you which you like better. The strange thing is, Silent Hunter 4 WotP Gold Edition is now going for $50 USED on Amazon... Hmmmm.... You can get it on Steam for $10 now, but then you have to ante up another $10 for the Uboats Add-on to get the game up to v1.5... Still, it's better than the $50 used. Steam will run "sales" on the Silent Hunter games quite frequently, and I'm surprised it not on sale this Labor Day weekend, but alas, it's not...

I like 'em both, very much. Some of the game play in both is irritating, some is fantastic. Which is better = draw. The actual "I'm trapped in this sub, 350 under the Pacific ocean" feeling? Winner = SH1, but barely, and probably has to do with just a pinch of nostalgia. The graphics winner = SH4 - hands down winner there. Now, let's talk Destroyer Command, SHII, SHIII, and SH5... skip 'em... - I've got 3 & 5 both (still active on the HD - lost SHII, and DC was a WOT BOMB!), but I prefer 4. There is one thing ya gotta remember about me: I'm not very good at commanding a simulated sub - I get sunk all the time, but I are a SH SubSimNut... and I've still got The Hunt For Red October on the 4g SSD on my C64 ready to go at any time...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-01-16 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Color my links!
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote