View Single Post
Old 03-18-23, 12:38 PM   #3
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Yes, I agree, good points. I had only just posted in a different forum how much Freelancer has changed my approach. Well, maybe more accurately, how much more open I am now to alternative play styles.

Previously, Silent Assassin was my jam. I always enter a mission with the goal of ghosting it. I don't always pull it off, but getting through unseen, unheard and undetected was always the objective.

But in Freelancer the only objective is to complete it, whatever that might mean, and with no saves that might devolve in to mayhem. I can't just reload a point a few minutes before I fouled up. Gotta roll with it. I still want to ghost, but sometimes the hand you're dealt calls for alternative solutions.

My last mission was the first of a new syndicate, an alerted Sgail. I wanted the silenced pistol you can get on this map (and I got it). The mission had three targets and two I took down with bursts from an unsuppressed assault rifle, which I do believe is the first time I've used an assault rifle in the trilogy! Managed to avoid detection too. They searched, but gave it up as a bad job whilst I hung from a ledge over the sea. Gotta improvise!

And you're right about how with SA/SO type play no longer rewarded that it frees us to explore these alternatives. Maybe you've always done, Dowly. But for me it has really opened up the game play. The limited inventory options (at least early in your campaign) and the complete absence of save points has really changed the Hitman paradigm, and so far I'm digging it.

Honestly I didn't expect anyone here would be playing this, but glad to know I was wrong. Please share anything you want to add about your campaign or tips you might think useful.