View Single Post
Old 02-19-23, 07:04 PM   #1361
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
BubbleHead:

The (v2) README states:

Make sure you have the Large Address Aware (LAA) or 4gb patch installed, if not, sim will CTD.

I have never used these programs before, and have never even heard of them. I never had any problems when using TMO v2.5 + RSRD. Do I really need either or both of them? Also, LAA is for a 32 bit OS/CPU. I have downloaded, but not installed the 4gb patch. I did not D/L the LAA program. Addendum: The README for the 4gb patch clearly states that this 'fix' is for Windows Vista 32bit, and not needed for 64 bit.

My PC is a Windows 10, 64 bit with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM.

I've just started installing this MOD from a CLEAN install of SH4, even downloading a brand new copy of SH4 from Amazon.com/UBI (first un-installing my working copy of SH4, including deleting all registry entries). This question has stopped me cold, so I need an answer soonest.

Thanks so much in advance.
jumping in here and pinch-hitting for BH.....

SH4 is not using your system's 16GB. Probably maxing at 2 MB, possibly less. Keep in mind that SH4 was designed in 2007 and it is running two code sets, an SH3-offshoot for the German Uboat missions and a hybrid code set for the Pacific theatre. Plus, the UBI designers did not design the memory usage very well and so it CTD's when it gets confused on usable memory.

using a 4GB memory enhancer such as LAA or the other one, whose name i cannot remember at the moment, will force SH4 to use up to 4 GB, cutting down on the opportunities of it running out of what it thinks is usable memory and then crashing to the desktop without any error messages.

so, you do not HAVE to use a 4 GB memory aid but it helps, a lot.
i use it for every installation i have for SH4 from Stock through TMO, FOTRSU and Dark Waters. the last two won't really run properly without a 4 GB memory utility. trust me on this.

don't worry about using a 32-bit vs 64-bit LAA...i have never noticed a difference with SH4.

either way, it's your decision.

good luck, Herr Kaleun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote