View Single Post
Old 01-11-23, 09:50 AM   #10
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Yeah, it's too bad it ran poorly for you. Wonder what the issue is, because it's been trouble free for me, as far as stability is concerned. At least the two-hour Steam refund window is enough time to see if it runs soundly, if not enough time to know whether any particular player will like it.

I think if someone is in to hunting games WotH is a good choice, but the same could be said for CotW and even the Hunter, old as it is. If someone is really in to hunting games they'll buy them all and then decide which one to spend the most time with.

I've quite taken to it. I spend 95% of my time stalking. Just moving slowly through the reserve, always upwind of course, pausing often to glass the surrounding areas and listening for tell-tale signs of game nearby. Once a worthy target is found, then it's a matter of positioning for a good shot. It's not uncommon to spend thirty minutes circumnavigating a position in order to approach from the downwind side. It's essentially stealth gaming, and the quarry is alert. It feels good, the balance in this. But of course this is subjective and everyone will see it through their own lens.

I've dropped 50 hours now, and taken 80 animals, which is a nice round sample with which to judge the state of the game. I think it's in a good place, particularly the hunting sim side. As the devs expand the content (like archery for example which is planned) it will get better.

Personally I'd like to see more weapons and animals. More lever-action rifles. Grouse, quail, woodcock, turkey, coyotes. A blind and stand building mechanic (there are currently tower stands sprinkled throughout the maps).

I think a game like this would benefit from a working camouflage system. Oddly, apparel is a non-issue in Way of the Hunter. There are no clothing choices. This would be welcome, to need to choose your dress to enhance your stealth in whichever environment you're hunting in.

I've got real-world hunting experience, although I don't do it any longer for personal reasons. But Way of the Hunter hit home straight off with Grandpa's rifle. It's a spitting image of my first deer rifle, a Marlin tube mag, lever action .30-.30. I have three of these as well as a .243, a .270 and a number of others, plus shotguns. This doesn't mark me out as an expert, but it does give me an informed opinion, and WotH hits a lot of good notes. If the dev team keep on improving their game I think it's well worth a go for anyone interested in the genre.